Boise Environmental Education (BEE) offers families an assortment of regular monthly programs and special events designed to educate, inform and engage on environmental topics. Most programs are free at Foothills Learning Center, BUGS and Boise WaterShed.
The Boise WaterShed offers opportunities for all ages and through various programs. Families can learn and experience all that the watershed has to offer on the third Saturday of each month with WaterShed Weekends. For free summertime fun, drop in during normal business hours or on a WaterShed Wednesday, a themed science and art program held every Wednesday.
For your children, Boise WaterShed additionally offers education-focused activities and lessons to keep kids engaged through programs such as:
- School Break Drop-In Programs (Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring Breaks)
- Homeschool Programs (year round)
As always, Water Renewal Facility tours are offered year-round. The one-hour outdoor walking tour offers an opportunity for ages 4 and older to see the process of wastewater treatment, including the sustainable processes used to recover resources.
These events are free.
The Boise Urban Garden School (BUGS) beautiful organic garden not only produces vegetables and flowers but also youth and adults who learn and absorb the fundamentals of gardening though science, health and environmental based lessons and activities. BUGS understands that a student that is able to dig in the soil, plant a seed, and watch it grow will be excited to eat the fruits of their labor, and will understand the science behind healthy soil, sprouting seeds, photosynthesis and more.
The Boise Parks and Recreation Community Forestry program offers opportunities to learn more about trees and how to care for them.
- Tree Walks - Held at local parks, join an Arborist to learn more about the trees that grow in Boise.
- Tree Care Classes - Offered February through mid April, these free classes help you learn how to care for trees on your property. Classes are offered at the Boise Public Library.
Foothills Learning Center
Foothills Family Days are offered every 2nd Saturday of each month. Stars, wiggly worms, sheep, and bees; the topics always change, but it’s always a blast! Activities include: educational opportunities, crafts, scavenger hunts and a backyard ready for picnicking. A great lead in to an afternoon in the foothills or at Camel’s Back Park.
Zoo Boise offers a wide variety of family programming for all ages. Programs include:
- Stroller Safari – Adults with children 2 and under who are looking to learn more about nature will enjoy a short zoo tour and an up close animal encounter.
- Preschool Zoo – For adults and children 3-5 activities are designed to be multi-sensory and may include mini zoo tours, movement activities, listening to stories, crafts, touching artifacts, and meeting live animals.
- Homeschool Zoo - Classes align with Idaho State Science Standards and focus on topics and principles based on grade level K-5.
- Family Weekends – 6 and up plus an adult get a memorable afternoon at the zoo including guided tour and activities plus an animal meet and greet
- Snooze – those 7+ with an adult will experience a camp out unlike any other. Sleep under the stars, surrounded by exotic animals, right in the middle of the city!